Admission to the campus Honors Program is by invitation and is based primarily on the quality of academic accomplishments and potential. Life experiences beyond the classroom--experiences that enrich and edify--will also be taken into consideration.
Eligible incoming first-year students will receive a letter of invitation from the Honors Committee during the process of admission to the University. For students already enrolled at Penn State Greater Allegheny, the invitation is made by the Honors Committee at the beginning of each Fall and Spring Semester. Under special circumstances, with the approval of the Director of Academic Affairs, students may be admitted to the program at other times by the Honors Committee.
There are separate qualifications for admission to the University program, the Schreyer Honors College.
Students in the campus Honors Program must meet requirements in the two general areas described below. Students who are also in the Schreyer Honors College have additional requirements.
Honors Credit and Grade Requirements
- Complete at least six honors credits per academic year
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.33 or higher
- Earn a minimum GPA or 3.20 each semester
- Earn a grade of B or better for all honors credits
Honors Attendance Requirements
Attend the fall and spring Student Research and Creativity Conference
- Attend the Honors Convocation at the end of the spring semester
- Attend at least two honors events per semester from a variety of optional events including:
- Speakers, films, or performances sponsored by the Teaching International Program;
- Cultural excursions sponsored by a campus faculty member or organization;
- Other events sponsored by the Honors Program.