You're a scholar with athletic interests and always wanted to combine the two.
Now you can at Penn State Greater Allegheny, with the 15-credit interdisciplinary certificate.
Anchored on internship opportunities in the field, the Sports Administration certificate is an interdisciplinary program designed to introduce students to different and various aspects of a sports administration career.
Students who complete this 15-credit certificate will enhance their career opportunities, degree programs, portfolios, and broaden their academic credentials to include working in the fields of sports management, business/retail, media, sporting teams, and recreational programs.
As a flexible program, there are several ways to pursue the certificate. A student may incorporate the certificate as part of the Individualized Business option in the Business major or include it as a field of study for the Letters, Arts, and Sciences degree. Students can also use some of the courses in the certificate to satisfy requirements in the Communications or Psychology degrees. Regardless of major, a student may earn the Sports Administration certificate by taking the required courses.
The requirements, detailed on this page, include 3 credits of internship with a sports administration-related organization; 6 credits from two different subject areas of 100- and/or 200-level courses; and 6 credits from two different subject areas of 300- and/or 400-level courses.
- Students interested in collegiate sports could work here with the campus Athletic Director or Athletic Training Office.
- Those interested in sports marketing, advertising or public relations could apply for positions with local sports organizations.
- Sports journalism or broadcasting could be pursued with one of our local news organizations.
Requirements for the SPTADM certificate
6 credits from the following list:
- ACCTG 211 (4) Financial & Managerial Acct
- CAS 252 (3) Business & Professional Communication
- CAS 203 (3) Interpersonal Communication
- COMM 100 (3) Mass Media & Society
- COMM 170 (3) Intro to the Sports Industry
- ECON 102 (3) Intro Micro Economics
- FIN 100 (3) Intro to Finance or FIN 301(3) Corporate Finance
- HIST 113 (3) Baseball in Comparative History
- HIST 155 (3) American Business History
- KINES 141 (3) The Socio-Cultural Dynamics of Kinesiology
- PHIL 103 (3) Ethics
- STAT 100 (3) Statistics or STAT 200 (4) Elementary stats
- TURF 100 (3) Turfgrass Management
6 CREDITS FROM THE FOLLOWING LIST:
- AM ST 441 (3) History of Sports in USA
- COMM 370 (3) Public Relations
- COMM 412 (3) Sports, Media & Society
- COMM 458 (3) Media Law Ethics
- COMM 476 (3) Sports Writing
- COMM 478 (3) Sports Information
- CRIMJ 467 (3) Law & Society
- ECON 460 (3) Issues in Sports Econ
- KINES 395B (1) Leadership Practicum: KINES
- KINES 439W (3) Ethics in Sport and Sport Management
- KINES 486 (3) Legal Issues in Sport
- LER 459 (3) Collective Bargaining in Prof Sports
- MGMT 402 (3) Experiences in Organizational Relations
- MGMT 433 (3) Leadership and Team Building
- MKTG 310 (3) Public Relations & Marketing
- MKTG 443 (3) Sports Marketing
3 CREDITS FROM THE FOLLOWING LIST:
- BA 495A (3) Internship
- CAS 495 (3) Internship
- COMM 495 (3) Internship
- PSYCH 495 (3) Internship