Penn State Greater Allegheny’s Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications covers all aspects of communications including print, audio, video, and digital. Our students understand how each medium integrates in a wide range of careers and develop the skills to adapt to the changing world of work. Communication skills are often unseen, but are used in every career, giving our students a broad array of pathways to follow after graduation.
Why Choose Greater Allegheny for your Communications Degree?
Our small class size gives you the opportunity to work closely with our faculty on real life communication programs and projects. Our required internship will place you with people and experiences to help you in your future career. You will have a portfolio to share with potential employers and a network of professional colleagues
Penn State Greater Allegheny is proud to offers a handful of on-campus opportunities to grow your professional portfolio.
- Award-winning Campus Newspaper The GA-Zette
- Campus Radio Station (WMKP)
- Student run Public Relations/Marketing Agency BeGreater Creative
What to Expect
Greater Allegheny offers the Corporate Communications option of the Communications degree. That means our students focus on developing and managing all communications, internal and external, for any sized organization, profit or non-profit.
Students will take courses that focus on:
- Mass Media and Society
- Basic News Writing Skills
- News Writing and Reporting
- Public Relations (PR)
- Introduction to Multimedia Production
- Sports, Media and Society
- Media and Politics
Many available jobs may require a degree in Communications. Browse some of the job titles. One may make for a satisfying career path for you!
- Journalist - including sports and feature writing
- Fundraising Executive
- Public Relations Specialist
- Social Media Manager
- Human Resources and Benefits Communicator
- Account Executive and Sales Professional
- Special Events Management
- Government and Politics - elected and support staff roles
- Law - including lawyers and paralegals
The official course requirements for this degree can be viewed in the online Undergraduate Bulletin under the suggested academic plan.