On-Campus Office Hours:
Monday: 9:10 a.m. - 12:00 noon
Wednesdays: 10:10 a.m. - 12:00 noon
or by appointment
I am an Associate Professor at Penn State Greater Allegheny and a graduate faculty at University Park. Before coming to Penn State, I was a Visiting Assistant Professor at Smith College and University of California, Riverside.
Teaching Interest: Mathematics
Area of Expertise: Mathematics
My primary research focuses on commutative algebra and its connection to algebraic geometry and combinatorics. More specifically, I work on defining questions of blow-up algebras as well as various invariants of varieties. Applications of my research include coding theory, geometry modeling, chemical reaction networks, optimization problems, and permutation statics. Other than working on pure mathematics and its applications, I am interested in finding the impact of the usage of technology in mathematics classrooms.
1. Blow-up algebras of secant varieties of rational normal scrolls, with Y.-H. Shen, to appear Collectanea Mathematica, 2021.
2. Symbolic powers of generalized star configurations of hypersurfaces, with Y.-H. Shen, Journal of Algebra, Vol. 593 (2022) 193-216.
3. Toric Ideals of Weighted Oriented Graphs, with J. Biermann, S. Kara, and A. O’Keefe, to appear International Journal of Algebra and Computation, 2021.
4. Summer Research in Mathematics at MSRI, with A. O’Keefe, AMS notice December 2021.
5. Algebraic Invariants of Weighted Oriented Graphs, with J. Biermann, S. Kara, and A. O’Keefe, Journal of Algebraic Combinatorics, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10801-021-01058-2.
Purdue University, Ph.D.
Papers and Presentations
1. MAA Allegheny Mountain Colloquium Talk, Sept. 2021
2. Department of Mathematical Colloquium, West Virginia University, Oct. 2020
3. Department of Mathematical Colloquium, University of Nebraska , Mar. 2020
4. Algebra Seminar, Iowa State University, Mar. 2020
5. Department of Mathematical Colloquium, University of Vermont, Feb. 2020