The campus community is looking forward to our new students arriving on campus and the beginning of the Fall 2008 semester.
Orientation 2008 will consist of a full week of fun activities and informative workshops.
New students and their families will learn about the many resources available on campus, and have the opportunity to meet the faculty, staff, and students of Penn State Greater Allegheny. Each activity is designed to provide helpful tools to succeed at Penn State and make a smooth adjustment to life at a Big Ten University.
Calendar of Events
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Students living on campus are to move into McKeesport Hall on this day between 8am and 5pm. More information concerning resident move-in can be found at http://www.welcomeweek.psu.edu.
Friday, August 22, 2008
All new students and families are required to participate in Orientation programs on this day. Please plan to arrive at the Wunderley Gymnasium for Orientation Check-In between 10:30am and 10:50am.
- All campus offices are open beginning at 8:00 am. Between 8:00 am and 10:45 am, students and families can visit any office to complete last minute preparations for the fall semester. Financial Aid officers, Finance personnel, and Academic Advisers will be available, campus tours will be offered, and family photographs will be taken at the Lion Shrine.
- Family members with students living in McKeesport Hall are required to attend a Residence Hall Meeting at 9:45 am in McKeesport Hall.
- The Academic Convocation, featuring Keynote Speaker Dr. Guion Bluford, will begin at 11 am in the Wunderley Gymnasium. Dr. Bluford is a 1964 graduate of Penn State University with a bachelor of science degree in Aerospace Engineering. He spent 15 years with NASA as one of its elite astronauts and was the first African American to fly in space in 1983.
- An all-campus picnic will be held on the Buck Green/Student Community Center area at 12:15 pm.
- Students will participate in College and Academic Adviser meetings beginning at 1:30 pm.
- Families will participate in Family Information Panels also beginning at 1:30pm.
- The Penn State Greater Allegheny Alumni Society will sponsor an Ice-Cream Social and Parent send off at 3pm in the Student Community Center.
- At 5 pm Students will travel to Station Square in downtown Pittsburgh for a boat ride aboard the Gateway Clipper Fleet. Students from Penn State campuses at New Kensington, Beaver, and Shenango will also participate in this activity.
Saturday, August 23, 2008
All new students are required to participate in workshops on this day. A $5.00 lunch coupon will be provided to students to use in our Café Metro located in the Student Community Center. Please plan to arrive in the Student Community Center for check-in between 9:30am and 9:50am. Workshops begin at 10:00am and the day concludes at 4pm. Workshop topics and other activities include:
- Academic and financial wellness
- Responsibilities and rights of a Penn State student
- Personal wellness and safety
- Get involved: Intramural and collegiate sports programs
- Get involved: A look at your Student Government Association
- Veterans and Adult Student information session
- Tie-dying party ? bring your Orientation t-shirt!
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Volleyball Tournament
If you are traveling from outside the Western Pennsylvania area, there are hotels that provide special Penn State Greater Allegheny rates. You may consider contacting one of these hotels to reserve lodging, or choose one on your own. A detailed listing of these hotels may be found at http://www.ga.psu.edu/StudentLife/orientation.htm.
The Penn State Greater Allegheny community is excited about your arrival and we look forward to seeing you soon. If you have any questions prior to that time, please call us at 412-675-9052 and we will be happy to assist you.
Penn State Greater Allegheny ? We?re Not Just Good?.We?re Great!