Greater Allegheny's Anthony Mitchell promoted to associate teaching professor

MCKEESPORT, Pa. — Penn State Greater Allegheny's Anthony Mitchell has been promoted from assistant to associate teaching professor of African and African American studies, effective July 1.

“I am happy to receive this promotion,” said Mitchell. “I look forward to contributing to the success of our students and the campus community in the future.”

Mitchell attributes his family and schooling experiences for his interest in teaching higher education at Penn State Greater Allegheny. He compares teaching to a “calling to serve,” rather than a career.

“I am the maternal grandson and great grandson of ancestors who were part of the 'Up from Slavery' and 'Great Migration' periods in American history,” Mitchell said. “In the 1970s, this heritage inspired my interest in wanting to learn formal African-American history, and during my high school years, I became part of a protest movement that led to the first course offering of African-American history in the Beaver Falls School District.”

Over the years, Mitchell taught courses that made him feel the real joy of teaching, making it easier to spread knowledge to his students.

“Living While Black (AF AM 100) examines the experiences of African-Americans in the 20th century, starting with the Niagara Movement in 1905 and concluding with the Million Man and Women National marches in the 1990s,” said Mitchell. “It provides a wealth of material on the racial strivings and cultural resiliencies of African-Americans to uplift themselves from second-class citizenship and oppression.” 

Penn State Greater Allegheny has a special place in Mitchell’s heart, as he considers the campus to be a place of excellence.

“It is a place where students can receive an excellent education and create opportunities to realize their hopes and dreams,” said Mitchell.