As many students may become under-resourced during this time, there may be state and federal assistance programs that can help them. Key questions to ask to determine if assistance programs may help:
Do you have income or means to support yourself/your family?
Do you have stable housing? Access to and resources to get food? Can you pay your utility bills?
If you/your parents are recently unemployed, will you have health insurance?
If they have children, they may have access to special programs.
Pennsylvania resident students can apply for assistance programs via the PA Compass website:
Links for information on assistance programs offered through the PA Dept of Human Services:
Healthcare/Medical Assistance: https://www.dhs.pa.gov/Services/Assistance/Pages/Medical-Assistance.aspx
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as food stamps): https://www.dhs.pa.gov/Services/Assistance/Pages/SNAP.aspx
Cash Assistance: https://www.dhs.pa.gov/Services/Assistance/Pages/Cash-Assistance.aspx
Housing resources and Public housing: https://www.dhs.pa.gov/Services/Assistance/Pages/Housing.aspx https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/public_indian_housing/pha/contacts
Heating assistance (closed for 2019-2020 season on 4-10-20) https://www.dhs.pa.gov/Services/Assistance/Pages/LIHEAP.aspx
PA Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program: https://www.pawic.com/
Resources for Energy/utilities bills: http://www.puc.state.pa.us/consumer_info/electricity/energy_assistance_programs.aspx
Here are some helpful links for out-of-state students (focused on states with higher PSU student populations):
- New Jersey: https://www.njhelps.org/
- New York: https://www.mybenefits.ny.gov/mybenefits/begin
- Maryland: https://mydhrbenefits.dhr.state.md.us/dashboardClient/#/home
- Virginia: https://www.dss.virginia.gov/benefit/
- Ohio: https://benefits.ohio.gov/
- West Virginia: https://www.wvpath.org/ , https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/1683 , https://www.welfareinfo.org/wv/
- Connecticut: https://connect.ct.gov/access/jsp/access/Home.jsp
- California: https://www.cdss.ca.gov/benefits-services
- Massachusetts: https://www.mass.gov/topics/food-cash-assistance
- Florida: https://www.myflorida.com/accessflorida/
Students can be referred to the Student Insurance Advocate for help with finding programs in their state: Natahsha Gates, LSW | 814-865-3585 | [email protected]