KidWind was founded in 2002 by Michael Arquin, a middle school teacher from Monterey, California. A decade later, his organization blossomed into an international project that has trained over 7,000 teachers and impacted more than 500,000 students. Their data shows that they have helped teachers and students build over 50,000 experimental wind turbines.
After founding KidWind, Arquin wanted to scale up his classroom effort by putting on a large-scale event with more students and teams. In 2009 the first official KidWind Challenge was sponsored in New York through a grant from the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSRDA). The KidWind Challenge is now in its seventh year and is being held in many states throughout the country.
Join KidWind and Penn State Greater Allegheny as we creatively explore the science, technology and implications of a world powered by renewable energy.
February 17, 2023
9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Penn State Greater Allegheny
4000 University Drive McKeesport, PA. 15132
- 8:30 a.m. - 9:50 a.m.: Registration and Open Testing for teams
- 10:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.: All Divisions testing & judging
- 12:30 p.m. - 1:00p.m.: Wrap up and lunch. Pizza provided upon request.
- 1:00 p.m.: Award Ceremony
- Dr. Eric Lipsky – Associate Professor, Energy Engineering, Penn State Greater Allegheny (Campus Challenge Coordinator)
- Dr. Fernando Soto – Assistant Professor, Energy Engineering, Penn State Greater Allegheny
- Dr. Beth Lindsey – Associate Professor, Physics, Penn State Greater Allegheny
- Ms. Debbie Gaydos – Assistant Teaching Professor, Mathematics, Penn State Greater Allegheny
- Dr. Andrea Stevens – Assistant Teaching Professor, Biology, Penn State Greater Allegheny
- Larry Dupak – Lecturer, Information Sciences and Technology, Penn State Greater Allegheny
- Mrs. Victoria Garwood – Director, Planning & Communications, Penn State Greater Allegheny
- Dr. Kathleen Hill – Director, Center for Science and the Schools, Associate Professor of Science Education, Penn State University
- Dr. Susan Stewart – Research Associate, Aerospace Engineering & Architectural Engineering, Penn State University and WfS Director
- Mrs. Amber Cesare – CSATS STEM Outreach Specialist and WfS Coordinator
Special thanks to all the AMAZING Penn State Greater Allegheny Student Volunteers and Lion Ambassadors who helped make this event possible!
- Nicolas Boyer
- Evelyn Siler
- Felicia Englert
- Emma Campbell
- Jamya Fulmore
- Tapashya Ghimirey