To enroll in a course as an Independent Study, work with the course instructor to complete the Honors Option Form.
Students and faculty members should review this page before submitting the honors independent study or research form
The usual deadline is three weeks into the semester, but the instructor and coordinator may approve exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
If you wish to discuss any aspect of the honors independent study or research, please contact the Honors Coordinator at our campus.
- An Honors course should go more deeply into methodology, structure, and theory; attack more sophisticated questions; and satisfy more rigorous standards than is generally expected.
- Simply increasing the volume of work required does not constitute Honors. The character and quality of the work should be augmented, but the time required for the Honors project should remain commensurate with the number of credits for the independent project course.
- A successful Honors experience will include planned regular meetings between the instructor and the student in review, discuss and revise as the project develops. Whenever possible, specific deadlines should be identified.
- Faculty should feel free to stipulate clarifications, modifications, or alternatives to student proposals and to reject proposals that reflect no serious preliminary thought about projects worthy of Honors treatment.
- The honors independent study form should be completed by the student in consultation with the instructor
- In order to receive Honors credits for the course, students must present the results of the work in the form of a poster presentation at the Student Research and Creativity Conference. Students presenting posters are required to send an abstract and an electronic copy of their poster or presentation in Canvas. Failure to submit and present your poster will result in the removal of the Honors designation from your transcript.
- The filing of an Honors option represents a commitment by both student and instructor to see the project through. The course may not revert to non-Honors status without the permission of the instructor. The Office of Academic Affairs must receive written notification immediately of such a change, but no later than the end of the sixth week of the semester.