Virtual Learning Center Information - Spring 2021
ALL SERVICES ARE FREE! NO COST TO A STUDENT.
ALL LEARNING CENTER VISITS WILL BE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
Location: Lower Level of Library in glass enclosed office
Coordinator: Siobhan Brooks
Contact Information: email: [email protected]
telephone: 412-675-9454 (Please leave a voicemail message)
Learning Center Assistant, professional Tutor: Lelle Porter
Contact Information: email: [email protected]
telephone: 412-675-9088 (During Office hours)
zoom link: https://psu.zoom.us/j/7124079899
NOTES: FROM JANUARY 19 through February 14
• All Learning Center services will be remote. See table below for contact information for tutors.
BEGINNING February 15
• Due to the Corona Virus, the Learning Center will be open from 9:00 am – 2:00 pm daily
• There is a kiosk outside the Learning Center entry to register your presence
- You will sign with the appropriate information and take a seat in the outer area
- A tutor will come out to you
- Our offices have been deemed too small too maintain our social distance so your session, if it is in person, will be in the outer library space
• Due to the Corona Virus, Tutors will be in the office as little as possible; the rest of the time will be zoom meetings
- At least one tutor will be in the Learning Center each day to answer questions and help you make connections
- See the table below for times and days for each tutor and her contact information
- You may make an appointment by phone, text or email
• All the tutors listed in the table below are professional tutors
• All tutors can be reached by phone at 412-675-9088 (During office hours)
• All tutoring sessions will be by appointment. You may make a random appointment or a regular appointment
• You may drop by any time during office hours to get a question answered
• You may take a 1-credit MATH 010 class if one is being offered for your math class
• You may take a 1-credit ENGL 005 class if you are taking ENGLISH 15
|Name||Day & Time In Office||Contact Information||Subjects|
|Helen Alliston||Monday - Thursday | 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.||Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 724-339-2387 (No Text Available)
Zoom Link: https://psu.zoom.us/j/9960498708
|All MATH except Discrete MATH; PHYSICS 211,212,250,251; STATISTICS 200|
|Barb Kendig||Wednesday | 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.||Email: [email protected]
Zoom Link: https://psu.zoom.us/j/9745789892
|French, Spanish - All Levels|
|Lesa Demaio||Tuesday | 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.||Email: [email protected]
Zoom Link: https://psu.zoom.us/j/973353524
|All MATH up to and including MATH 141; PHYSICS 211,212,250,251; STATISTICS 200|
|Megan McLaughlin||Tuesday | 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.||Email: [email protected]
Zoom Link: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/929774986
|All MATH up to and including MATH 140, CHEM, COMPUTER SCIENCE, and IST (Java and Discrete MATH)|
|Tara Watson||Thursday | 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.||Email: [email protected]
Zoom Link: https://psu.zoom.us/j/285615344
|MATH 021 and 034, ACCTG, FIN, ECON, MKTG, MGMT, and SCM|
|Lelle Porter||Friday | 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.||Email: [email protected]
Zoom Link: https://psu.zoom.us/j/7124079899
|Miscellaneous Special Workshops offered by Learning Center|
|Camille Mickle||Wednesday | 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.||Email: [email protected]
Zoom Link: https://psu.zoom.us/j/860000598
If there is a course that isn't listed that you need help with, please email Siobhan Brooks ([email protected]).
Located in Kelly Library, Lower Level
Services are available in various subjected including, but not limited to Math, Science (Chemistry, Biology, Physics), Arts and Languages (English, Spanish, French), and the Social Sciences (Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology). Please call or stop by the Learning Center to schedule an appointment or get more information about tutoring services. Appointments are encouraged, but not required.
English 5 and Math 10 are offered via the Learning Center for students who are scheduled through guided placement during NSO, or students who choose to take the course for additional homework/course help. English 5 must be taken in accordance with either an English 1W orEnglish 15 course. Math 10 classes are generally offered for each math course offered during the semester. If you are interested in adding either of these courses to your schedule please contact us before mid-term!
These workshops will focus on reviewing basic algebraic skills sets in order to refresh the memories of and equip students taking math courses whose focus is algebra or above.
Study Skills Workshops
These workshops are offered in the Learning Center as either interactive sessions or self-guided, computer-aided sessions. Professors often require some workshops as course requirements while others offer to count them as extra credit. Students should check course syllabi for more information.
The following workshops are offered in the Learning Center, and may be taken at any time by appointment:
- Note-Taking Strategies
- Test-Taking Strategies
- MLA or APA Writing Styles
- Understanding Your Textbook
- High School vs. College
- Memory and Concentration
- Five Paragraph Essay Structure
- Learning Styles
EOP Academic Support:
Information about admissions requirements or the Educational Opportunity Program is available at http://www.psu.edu/admissions/counselors/policies/eop.htm
Additional tutoring, academic counseling, and other resources are available for EOP students. Students who have been admitted to Penn State Greater Allegheny through EOP may also be eligible for the textbook loan program. EOP students should contact the Learning Center Coordinator to learn more about the EOP program. However, any questions about becoming an EOP student should be directed to Admissions at [email protected] or 412-675-9010.